- Effective clinical care for mental, physical and substance use disorders
- Easy access to a variety of clinical interventions and support for helpseeking
- Restricted access to highly lethal means of suicide
- Strong connections to family and community support
- Support through ongoing medical and mental health care relationships
- Skills in problem solving, conflict resolution and nonviolent handling of disputes
- Cultural and religious beliefs that discourage suicide and support self preservation
However, positive resistance to suicide is not permanent, so programs that support and maintain protection against suicide should be ongoing.